Sunday, April 29, 2007

Review of Photo Tex (Repositionable Printable Fabric)


After seeing a profile for Photo Tex on Colorburst's website (looking for 3800 profiles...), I remembered reading about this product a few months ago and meaning to try it. So I tracked down two sample rolls, 24" by 5' each. This product, invented by South Korea, is similar to a standard 2 ply inkjet printable fabric crossed with an industrial strength post-it note. They claim that photo-tex will never lose its stickiness. Now never is a long time, but from my 30 day test, they don't seem to be lying. I repositioned the printed square I had cut (approx. 12" x 12") twice a day for 30 days on a wide variety of surfaces, and it is still sticking. It picked up a little debris from my brick wall, but not enough to negate its sticking power. Impressive. Even after being submerged in water for 3 days, it still stuck to anything I placed it on. With no damage. Even more impressive. Photo-tex states it will not damage anything it is placed on, making it an ideal product to place on your late 18th century library's wooden walls.

As for the printing, it doesn't 'pop' as much as I was hoping, but overall color is good. Bright reds seem to be effected, I printed my samples on a Canon ipf8000 which usually does well with signage. The printing does not seem to wear off over time or fade, another plus. The blacks are moderate. I would not print any sort of fine art on this material. Worth checking out if you have any type of POP or instore marketing clients.

Overall, I was very pleased with the material and am anxiously awaiting a chance to use it commercially (it is a bit on the expensive side). Much like Post Its when they were first released, Photo-tex aren't sharing their adhesive secrets or any of the technology behind this product.

-Michael

Photo-tex website - www.phototexgroup.com
picture from photo-tex website

No comments: