Saturday, April 21, 2007

Why don't you take my fine art paper?

My Epson 3800 will not print on any type of fine art material that must be loaded through the separate fine art paper selector. That two dollar piece of flimsy plastic that Epson decided to include for me to slide onto the back of my printer is not really living up to the dreams I had for it. I made one successful 8.5x11 print on it after a mere 15 attempts to load from the back. No kidding, at least 15. Now I have been unsuccessful to load any bigger sheets into the back. I have been able to run it through the straight through path (designed for boards), but this isn't the easiest thing to do either.

Bottom line, 3800 is no fine art cranking machine and will be a hindrance to your workflow if you plan on mass printing on anything other than photo paper. Off to call Epson...

2 comments:

FI$H 2000 said...

I haven't used the 3800 -- everything I read of it seems to suggest that it's pretty shoddy.

I was going to get one to tide me over until I can swap out my ailing 4800 for an HP z3100ps, but now I think I'll just wait until I can afford the HP straight-up. Does the 3800 have anything to recommend it over (say) a comparable HP desktop designjet?

Michael said...

The Epson has proven even more picky over the next year since this was posted. I've gone through one and this is my second.

I love the Z3200 and Z3100 for the most part. I don't like the HP desktop models such as the HP 110. I found them garbage for fine art printing--canvas, fine art sheets, and things like that.